I was truly pleased with the method my Bourbon Mango Pulled Summer Squash Sandwiches ended up, especially the sauce. As quickly as we were ended up consuming, I began considering other things I might do with it. One of the concepts I had was to make baked beans. It took a bit of work (and even some mathematics– gasp!) to find out how to make this dish end up right, however I believe I prospered– these are conventional baked beans with a twist! This dish for Bourbon Mango Slow Cooker Baked Beans is ideal for a summer season barbecue or dinner– believe me, it makes enough to feed a little army. Use leftovers to make baked bean sandwiches or Vegetarian Shipwreck Casserole.
BourbonMango Slow Cooker Baked Beans
- 2 (16 oz) bags dried navy beans
- cooking spray
- 1 big onion, sliced
- 1 mango, peeled, diced, and pureed
- 1 1/2 cup ready barbecue sauce
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoon bourbon
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder (1/2 tsp for spicier beans)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Soak beans over night in a big bowl (if wanted). Drain, rinse, and contribute to big Dutch oven. Cover beans with water and give a simmer. Lower heat and cook for 45 minutes, or up until tender. Drain and cool.
- While beans are cooking, heat cooking spray in a little frying pan over medium heat. Add sliced onion and saute up until golden, stirring typically, about 7 minutes.
- Combine onions and beans in slow cooker. Add mango puree, barbecue sauce, water, balsamic vinegar, honey, bourbon, chipotle powder, salt, and pepper and stir up until well-combined. Cover and cook on low for 6– 8 hours, up until sauce has actually thickened.
Linked up with Veggie Converter Meatless/VeganMonday and FaveDiets Healthy Hop.
This post was initially released on 18 July 2011.